WWE SMACKDOWN! RESULTS
July 7, 2005|
Announcers: Michael Cole & Tazz
- VELOCITY TAPINGS:
- IN THE RING: John Bradshaw Layfield + The blue World order..
- JBL says last week six of the greatest sports entertainers ever fought and he was the last man standing..
- JBL says last week was an even bigger screwjob than Bret Hart in 1997 (yeah why can't the fans just forget it?)
- JBL says after that he learned that he was the #1 Contender to Batista's World Heavyweight title..
- JBL remembers last year's Great American Bash when he won the WWE title and began a near year long reign..
- JBL was in the middle of his speech when his own music hit, and a white stretch limosine drove out...
- Suddenly the blue World order (Stevie Richards, The Blue Meanie and Hollywood Nova stepped out of the limo!!!)
- Stevie Richards got the mic and introduces the Blue Meanie as "John Blue Lamefield" and Nova as "Bashme"
- Stevie Richards called himself the Chief of Staff Bluewheat and says JBL made an ass out of himself at One Night Stand..
- JBL yells back at the bWo saying they were a joke and insults ECW and specifically picks on Blue Meanie...
- The Blue Meanie took the mic and challenged John Bradshaw Layfield to a match later tonight!
- Stevie Richards proclaimed that "We're taking over!!!" and spray painted BWO on JBL's limosine!
- #1 CONTENDER (US TITLE) MATCH: Chris Benoit vs Booker T w/Sharmell..
- Chris Benoit won by making Booker T tap out to the crippler crossface..
- BACKSTAGE: Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio..
- Rey Mysterio awkwardly asked Eddie Guerrero to reconsider threatening his family..
- Eddie Guerrero says he has a tag team title match tonight and Rey Mysterio will be his tag team partner..
- Rey Mysterio says he doesn't want to be Eddie's partner --- which Eddie says hurts his feelings....
- Eddie Guerrero says he'll just go to the ring by himself and tell everybody their little secret..
- Rey Mysterio begged once again for Eddie not to do it, and reluctantly agrees to be Eddie's partner..
- BACKSTAGE: Theodore Long & Muhammad Hassan & Khosrow Daivari..
- Muhammad Hassan says it's his destiny to liberate the WWE title and have it around the waist of an Arab American..
- Muhammad Hassan points out that he was never pinned of submitted so technically he is #1 Contender......
- Theodore Long sets up a #1 Contenders match at Great American Bash between Muhammad Hassan and The Undertaker..
- Theodore Long then sets up a match tonight between Khosrow Daivari and The Undertaker!!!
- NO DQ MATCH: John Bradshaw Layfield vs The Blue Meanie w/Stevie Richards & Hollywood Nova..
- JBL was beating up the enture blue World order until Stevie Richards whacked JBL with a chair!
- The Blue Meanie hit a top rope Meaniesault onto a bloodied JBL who managed to kick out after a two-count!
- Orlando Jordan tried to interfere but Hollywood Nova held his leg..
- John Bradshaw Layfield recovered and hit the Clothesline from hell onto Blue Meanie!
- Batista showed up and hit a spinbuster and Blue Meanie pinned JBL to get the victory!!!
- TAG TITLE MATCH: MNM (Joey Mercury & Johnny Nitro w/Melina Perez) vs Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio..
- Midway through the match, Eddie Guerrero had the match won, but tagged in Rey and tells him to finish..
- Rey Mysterio went to the offensive as Eddie cheered, but they turned on Rey and punched him!!
- Eddie Guerrero then dropped off the apron and grabbed a steel chair and sat down at ringside to watch..
- Rey Mysterio briefly took a beating and then made his comeback and hit the 619 and dropped the dime!
- Eddie Guerrero entered the ring and broke up the pin and repeatedly kicked Rey Mysterio!
- Eddie Guerrero sat back and watched MNM finish off Rey Mysterio with the Snapshot finisher..
- IN THE RING: Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio..
- Eddie Guerrero got on the mic and taunted Rey, encouraging him to hit him so he can tell the secret!
- Rey Mysterio tried to leave and Eddie ordered him back in and said Rey can only leave when he says so..
- Eddie Guerrero then forced Rey Mysterio to open the ropes for him.................
- INTERVIEW: Steve Romero & Christian..
- Christian says he was screwed over by Booker T last week during the 6-WAY match..
- Christian says he's the only person to ever main event RAW & Smackdown! in the same week!
- MATCH: Matt Morgan vs William Regal (after being traded to Smackdown!)..
- The Mexicools showed up before the match could even get started and surrounded Matt Morgan..
- The Mexicools hit several high spots on Matt Morgan as William Regal watched from the isle..
- The Mexicools tossed the referee out and all cut promos, basically declaring war on everyone..
- Their main catch phrase is "We are not Mexicans... we are..... MEXICOOL!"
- BACKSTAGE: Muhammad Hassan & Khosrow Daivari..
- Muhammad Hassan tells that Daivari will be a sacrifice for the greater good and the sacrifice will be rewarded..
- Muhammad Hassan then whispered something in Daivari's ear to ease his worries.....
- MATCH: The Undertaker vs Khosrow Daivari w/Muhammad Hassan..
- The Undertaker quickly hit a chokeslam and tombstone and pinned Khosrow Daivari..
- Suddenly five masked "terrorists" ran down and attacked Undertaker gangstyle and choked him out!
- Muhammad Hassan entered the ring and put the unconcious Undertaker into the Camel Clutch!
- The five "terrorists" lifted the body of Khosrow Daivari over their heads and carried him out..
- Editor's Note: The terrorists were played by Val Venis, The Shane Twins, Mike Knox, and possibly Derrik Neikirk..
- Editor's Note: Very contraversial decision to air this on the same day as terrorist attacked in England..
|Dave Meltzer wrote the following on his website:
It's nice to see that every now and then, when you forget how sleazy to the core the WWE is, last night they remove all doubt. Bluntly, the WWE, as a business, would be up shit creek right now if it wasn't for Europe, and to thumb their nose as the company's single hottest market simply because they live in a bubble in Connecticut where there is nothing but wrestling and the real world doesn't exist, just amazes me. The fact the company realized they couldn't air the Undertaker-Hassan angle in England shows they at least thought that much, but still, they put it on their web site anyway, needlessly, just to prove how insensitive they are.
It was bad enough airing it in the U.S., because it only seems to show wrestling fans around the world either how callous the company is, or the company's judgement that its fans would only care if something of the sort happened in the U.S. The fact the angle got no heat in Sacramento on Monday when it was taped showed a misjudgment, but Smackdown last night was 90 minutes of a 120 minute show filled with misjudgments.
Those happen all the time and that's part of creativity. You try things you think will work and sometimes you're not in tune with your audience and they don't. I can understand that when you have a dud heel character that you groomed to work with top people, and on a show with little heel depth, it leads to desperation. Sometimes desperation doesn't work. That was fine for Monday.
But both WWE and UPN showed an incredible lack of class for airing the segment in wake of the events of earlier that day in London. The fact they put the crawl there in the first place indicated they both realized it and really didn't care. Do you realize that when WCW was losing $60 million, they never came close to being this sleazy. Dumber, sure. But never this sleazy. And this company is still making a nice profit, so there is no financial desperation here, just a complete lack of class.
And what's the upside? Nobody is buying a PPV to see Muhammad Hassan no matter what the angle. If you can't draw money against Hulk Hogan in his first match in almost two years, you can't draw money. Yeah, you can be a mid-card cheap heat character. Personally, I think Daivari is great, and Hassan is a great talker and obviously needs work as a wrestler. But what they expected out of the angle, drawing money originally with Austin and Hogan, didn't work in one case and was dropped in the other case. But that's neither here nor there.
Trying to exploit deaths for a wrestling angle drew incredible heat and was a financial flop in 1991. Ratings were so bad on an NBC special trying to exploit the Gulf War that NBC dropped WWE programming, a gigantic blow. They had to move Wrestlemania that year because of a lack of ticket sales. It wasn't because NBC had any qualms about taste, but simply the economic laws of the jungle. When you do a controversial angle, it is a success if you turn on more people than you turn off. In this case, you had something that turned on almost nobody, made many feel like taking a shower, and brought needless pain to many on a day that they really didn't need that out of their mindless entertainment.
And even if that isn't the case, it only goes to confirm the negative general public perception of wrestling, and unfortunately, the unfair portrayal of its audience believing they like stuff like this, as the lowest common denominator. WWE should remember that next time a tennis match that does a 1.3 rating in prime time can charge more for advertising, or when the NHL comes back and sponsors who wouldn't touch WWE with a ten foot pole will sign up for a sport that has horrible ratings and is coming off not even playing for a year due to labor relations problems, and they cry how unfair life is and that the big decision makers just don't "get it." The problem is, they do "get it." The ones who don't really need to be looking in the mirror.
- NON (WORLD) TITLE MATCH: Batista vs Christian..
- Long match.
- Batista hit the Demon-bomb (I hate calling it the Batista Bomb) and pinned Christian to win!
- John Bradshaw Layfield & Orlando Jordan hit the ring and attacked Batista....
- John Layfield pushed Orlando Jordan into Batista, sacrificing him so that he could escape..
- Batista sent a final messege to John Layfield by hitting Orlando Jordan with a big Demon-bomb!
- And that's a wrap folks...
Go Back To WWE History