WWE SMACKDOWN! RESULTS
January 3, 2002|
Announcers: Michael Cole/Jerry Lawler
- TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Dudley Boyz vs Spike Dudley and Tazz.
- Spike immediately entered the ring and was ganged up on by his brothers.
- Tazz then ran down and evened the score.
- Spike and Tazz held their own against the champs, causing Stacy Keibler to climb the ring apron in an attempt to distract the challengers.
- Spike walked right over to her and pulled down her skirt!
- The distraction had its desired effect, though, as Bubba Ray gathered Spike into a Superbomb and took home the win!
- INTERVIEW: Lilian Garcia & Jazz.
- Lilian Garcia welcomed Jazz to the Federation.
- Jazz abruptly cut off Lilian, saying she wasnít there to be interviewed.
- Unlike the other divas in the Federation, Jazz wouldnít sleep her way to the top, she would fight her way to the top because she can.
- As she turned to leave, Lilian began asking another question, which only angered the newcomer.
- Jazz said maybe she should forget about facing Mighty Molly that evening and instead should make an example of Lilian.
- She shoved the announcer away before turning to leave.
- IN THE RING: Vince McMahon & Steve Austin + Bossman & Booker T.
- Mr. McMahon headed into the ring to address the crowd.
- "Happy New Year!" exclaimed the Federation co-owner.
- Mr. McMahon said his primary New Yearís resolution was to annihilate and embarrass Ric Flair at the Royal Rumble.
- Mr. McMahon then took issue with Rudy Giuliani being named Time Magazineís Person of the Year.
- Mr. McMahon said there were other people worthy of the distinction, and the TitanTron showed a picture of Mr. McMahon gracing the cover of the latest Time Magazine.
- When the crowd refused to cease chanting, "What?!", Mr. McMahon ordered that the lights be turned off in the arena one section at a time.
- With the MCI Center bathed in darkness, Mr. McMahon gloated about how powerful he is.
- Suddenly, the sound of breaking glass caused Mr. McMahon to frantically order the lights be turned back on.
- When they were, Stone Cold Steve Austin was standing directly behind Mr. McMahon!
- The crowd exploded as Austin goaded the crowd into shouting "What?!" over and over.
- Austin said that Austin said he had made some New Yearís resolutions too: drinking more alcohol.
- The Texas Rattlesnake said he would knock Mr. McMahon on his ass and ordered him to remove his coat.
- Just then, Booker T and the Big Bossman came to the ring and pounded on the Rattlesnake.
- Bossman clubbed Austin repeatedly with the microphone, opening a gash on his forehead.
- Booker T and Bossman decimated Austin for several minutes before leaving with fully satisfied looks on their faces.
- WOMANS MATCH: Mighty Molly vs Jazz.
- Jazz took control of Mighty Molly virtually from start to finish.
- A strong suplex finished off the superhero.
- WINNER: Jazz.
- BACKSTAGE: Stephanie Mcmahon.
- Stephanie attempted to enter the arena, but the security guard said she wasnít on the list.
- Stephanie said that Mr. Flair must have forgotten to put her name there but she was expected.
- The guard refused to let her into the ring.
- A miffed Stephanie said that Triple H, her husband, would be back on RAW and she would be in a position of great power once again.
- She vowed that the guard would be the first person she fires.
- LOCKER ROOM: Test, Lance Storm, Christian & Chris Jericho.
- Test bragged to Lance Storm and Christian about a chick he hooked up with.
- Undisputed Champion Chris Jericho came in and said he couldnít ask for a better bunch of guys.
- He got gifts for each of the men, which he presented.
- Christian asked if Jerichoís burst of joy had anything to do with Triple Hís return on Monday.
- Jericho said he gave them gifts simply to celebrate all their accomplishments.
- Y2J said it was good to have guys around who watch each otherís back.
- INTERVIEW: Jonathan Coachman & Undertaker.
- Coach asked Undertaker about his feud with Big Show.
- Taker said he wasnít scared of Big Show at all.
- For 11 years, Taker said heís been busing people off.
- Taker said Coach, like a lot of people around the Federation, needed to learn about respect.
- He said that night, he will teach Big Show all about respect.
- BACKSTAGE: Test & Torrie Wilson.
- Test shook his present and tried guessing what it was when Torrie Wilson walked by him.
- Test said he got Torrie a present, and handed over the gift Jericho had given him.
- Torrie unwrapped the box and found a Jericho shirt!
- Test said the two of them should go out later and check out Washington.
- Torrie said she was already taken.
- Test said he didnít want to be her boyfriend and he couldnít believe she would pass him up.
- Torrie refused again, citing her loyalty to Tajiri.
- Test angrily demanded that Tajiri face him in the ring that night!
- HARDCORE TITLE MATCH: Undertaker vs The Big Show.
- Show chased Taker back of the entrance ramp with the Dead Man on his motorcycle the whole time!
- When the action reached the ring, Taker smacked Show repeatedly with a trash can lid.
- The champion dominated the Big Show early on, but Show stormed back and readied a chokeslam.
- Taker turned the tables on Show, locking the big man in a chokeslam that forced a submission win for the Hardcore Champion!
- BACKSTAGE: Stephanie McMahon & Palumbo/Gunn.
- Stephanie once again appeared in front of the security guard, this time wheeling Mr. Dudley into the arena.
- Mr. Dudley was on the list, but the guard once again refused to let the Billion Dollar Princess into the building.
- As Mr. Dudley entered the arena, Stephanie tried to use her womanly charms to coerce the guard into letting her in.
- "Uh Stephanie, Iím gay." came the guardís reply.
- Stephanieís jaw dropped as Billy Gunn and Chuck Palumbo walked into the arena past the adoring guard.
- TAG TEAM MATCH: Kurt Angle/Chris Jericho vs Rob Van Dam/Edge.
- The teams fought to a stalemate after several minutes, but a Five Star Frog Splash onto Angle helped RVDís team gain an advantage.
- Jericho stepped in to offer some help and even the score.
- The undisputed champ hit a bulldog on Edge, but missed his shot at a Lionsault.
- Edge speared the champ, but Angle broke up the pinfall.
- Soon after, Angle executed an Angle Slam on Edge with the referee distracted.
- Jericho mopped up the win by slumping over Edge and securing a three count.
- BACKSTAGE: Ric Flair & Arn Anderson.
- Ric Flair met up with Arn Anderson backstage.
- Flair said he had been taking care of some serious business.
- Arn said that some serious stuff had gone on that night in the MCI Center.
- Arn described what happened earlier that night with Mr. McMahon and Stone Cold Steve Austin.
- Flair said he was going into the ring to take care of Mr. McMahon.
- IN THE RING: Ric Flair & Stephanie McMahon.
- Flair did in fact enter the ring and told Vince to get in front of a monitor and listen.
- Flair said Mr. McMahon has a date with destiny as he has a match versus Flair at the Royal Rumble!
- Flair said Mr.McMahon may have gotten used to controlling peopleís lives from his plush office in Stamford, CT, but not Vince would have to walk the walk.
- Flair wondered how Vince thought he had a chance of beating the Nature Boy.
- Suddenly, Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley tried to rush into the ring, but she was stopped by security guards.
- Flair told the guards to let her go and he beckoned her into the ring.
- Stephanie said that letting her into the ring was a very smart business decision.
- She said she has been impressed with Flair for a very long time.
- She said she had a crush on the Nature Boy when she watched him in her youth.
- As she got older, that crush turned into respect for the 14-time champion.
- He was great in the ring, but when it came to business, Stephanie said that Flair falls a little short.
- When it comes to business, Stephanie said that she is the man.
- She has no doubt that Ric Flair will destroy her father at the Rumble.
- While she was talking, Flair began bouncing off the ropes and demonstrating elbow drops.
- An annoyed Stephanie stopped him and slapped him!
- Stephanie said that Flair had four days to decide if he wanted her to help him.
- Once Triple H returns, the game will really begin!
- MATCH: Tajiri w/Torrie vs Test.
- Tajiri managed to take down Test with his agility and speed.
- Tajiri tried to lock on the Tarantula, but Test foiled the attempt.
- Moments later, a Big Boot sealed the deal for Test.
- Torrie watched Testís celebration in disgust.
- WINNER: Test.
- BACKSTAGE: Vince McMahon vs Big Bossman.
- Mr. McMahon fumed backstage when Big Bossman asked if Vince was worried about Flair bringing Stephanie into the Federation.
- Vince said he was more concerned about what business Flair was taking care of that made him late for SmackDown! Booker T walked in and asked who he was facing tonight.
- Mr. McMahon said it was The Rock.
- Booker T kept asking, "Who?"
- Booker T said that tonight he would unveil, "Who?" as his new catchphrase.
- Mr. McMahon said that could result in the crowd responding with, "What?!", but Booker T said that would not happen.
- INTERVIEW: Jonathan Coachman vs The Rock.
- Coach caught up with The Rock backstage and asked how his New Year was.
- The Rock said it was fine, but he wondered what Coach did on his New Yearís.
- He thought that maybe Coach took the time to listen to music.
- He asked Coach who his favorite musical act was.
- Coach sheepishly answered Barry Manilow!
- The Rock then demanded that Coach sing some Barry Manilow.
- Coach squawked out a few bars, prompting The Rock to snatch the microphone and bang on it to make sure it was working ok.
- He gave Coach back the mic briefly then grabbed it back and mocked his feeble attempts at singing.
- The Rock turned his attention to Booker T.
- The Rock said he would stop at nothing in becoming the Federation Champion once again.
- On SmackDown! The Rock said he would show Booker T the Peopleís Ass Whipping!
- #1 CONTENDERS MATCH: The Rock vs Booker T.
- Booker T began the match by kicking and stomping The Rock into the corner.
- The brawl soon spread outside the ring where The Rock whirled Booker T into the ring steps.
- But before the Great One could mount more offense, Mr. McMahon ran down and clubbed The Rock in the head!
- Booker T tried to pin his opponent in the center of the ring, but The Rock kicked out.
- Suddenly, Ric Flair stormed down and took down his business partner with a vicious shot.
- Flair continued to destroy Mr. McMahon by flinging him over the ring barrier and into the crowd!
- Inside the ring, The Rock gave Booker T a spinebuster and prepped for a Peopleís Elbow!
- But the Big Bossman came down and interrupted the maneuver.
- The Rock simply couldnít be stopped, however.
- He hit a Rock Bottom on Booker T that gave him the pinfall and the No. 1 contenderís spot!
- Bossman and Booker T made The Rock pay dearly for the win.
- Booker delivered a crushing Bookend and Bossman followed up with a series of punches on the Brahma Bull.
- While the two continued their assault, Stone Cold Steve Austin sauntered to the ring and took care of business.
- But while Austin concentrated on pounding on Bossman, Booker T grabbed a steel chair and struck down the Rattlesnake.
- The Rock and Austin lay battered in the middle of the ring as Booker T and Bossman celebrated while SmackDown! came to a close.
- Goodnight Everybody......
Go Back To WWE History