WWE SMACKDOWN! RESULTS
October 11, 2001|
The Mark of the Quad Cities
Announcers: Michael Cole/Tazz
- KICKOFF: Shane & Stephanie, Regal, Stone Cold/Debra, Linda McMahon, Kurt Angle.
- With huge smiles on their faces, Shane McMahon and Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley headed to the ring.
- Shane said that the expression wasn't said often in Moline, but life is great, and life was a lot better since RAW, when Stone Cold Steve Austin regained the World Wrestling Federation Championship.
- He said that Austin's win put the Alliance right back on top as the most dominant force in sports entertainment.
- Stephanie said that she felt great on Monday night, but after Stone Cold's win, she felt unbelievable.
- She said the Alliance was all about truly great people.
- With that, she introduced fans to the newest member of the Alliance -- Federation Commissioner William Regal!
- The commissioner headed to the ring to a chorus of boos.
- Regal said that he was a man of integrity, and it was his responsibility to make sure that the Federation Championship was around the waist of a man who was everything a champion should be -- strong, virtuous and courageous.
- Unfortunately, he said, the Federation had no one to fit that description -- but the Alliance does.
- Regal then introduced that champion -- Stone Cold Steve Austin.
- The Rattlesnake and Debra walked to the ring, with Austin flaunting his newly won title.
- Stone Cold said he was very emotional, and wanted to thank everyone in the arena and around the world for their support in his journey back to the Federation Championship.
- He said that on RAW, he beat Kurt Angle, 1-2-3, and he'd felt the excitement of millions of Americans coursing through his veins, and it felt good.
- Austin said he had a long thank-you speech written, but had decided to make it short and sweet -- "It's over."
- He said he knew Angle thought he deserved a rematch, but said it's over!
- As Austin chanted "It's over," Linda McMahon's music played, and out came the Federation CEO!
- Linda said that things were far from over for Stone Cold -- in fact, she said it was a whole new beginning.
- Linda said she would begin with Commissioner Regal.
- As of this minute, she said his services as Federation commissioner were no longer required!
- To be more blunt -- "You're fired!" she screamed!
- Austin said that she couldn't fire him, but Linda said she just did!
- Linda then said that there would be a new commissioner on SmackDown!
- She said she had other announcements to make, but she would allow the new commissioner to make those announcements!
- She also reminded Stone Cold that as Federation Champion, his activities and matches were governed by the Federation commissioner.
- She said that as the old expression goes, when you live by the sword, you die by the sword -- it's true, it's true!
- Suddenly, an irate Kurt Angle snuck into the ring and attacked everyone, locking Austin in the ankle lock and punching out Regal!
- Moments later, an irate Regal complained to Shane and Stephanie backstage about the humiliation he received from Linda and Angle.
- Stephanie said that you could choose your friends, but you couldn't choose your parents.
- Shane questioned who the new commissioner would be.
- WWF TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Dudley Boyz w/ Stacy vs Big Show & Spike Dudley.
- The Dudleys finished off their challengers by nailing Spike with a 3-D, as D-Von pinned him for the win.
- After the bout, they attacked Big Show with their titles, and then set up a table outside the ring, much to Stacy's delight.
- Bubba Ray and D-Von gave Spike a huge backdrop over the top rope through the table on the outside -- his elevation was breathtaking!
- VIGNETTE: DDP.
- With a huge grin, Diamond Dallas Page said he had a special message for a special person -- Kurt Angle.
- He said that Kurt's losing the Federation Championship wasn't a bad thing -- it was a good thing, because Kurt learned a valuable lesson, that sometimes you have to lose things to realize just how valuable they really are.
- He said that now that Kurt had lost the title, Kurt had realized that nothing was more important than that.
- He said that without the title, Kurt felt like a nobody, a nothing, a loser -- but DDP said that Kurt was a somebody!
- He said that people still liked Kurt.
- DDP said he still liked him.
- BACKSTAGE: Stone Cold/Debra - Stephanie.
- An upset Stone Cold talked to Debra backstage, and Stephanie came into his locker room.
- She said that she and Shane had a good idea.
- She said they believed in leadership by example, and that Austin should reward Rob Van Dam for getting him the title match on Monday.
- Shane said that now that they had the Federation Championship back, all they needed was the WCW Title, so they should have RVD go against The Rock for the title!
- Austin suggested that they make him work for it, that they give RVD a match and the winner would face Rock.
- So Shane said that RVD would take on Chris Jericho on SmackDown!, with the winner facing Rock at No Mercy.
- Stephanie objected to that, until Shane pointed out that RVD had beaten Y2J three times in recent weeks.
- BACKSTAGE: Edge & Chris Jericho.
- Edge and Chris Jericho talked backstage about Y2J's impending match against RVD for the No. 1 contender spot for the WCW Title.
- Edge asked how things were with Y2J and Rock, and he said they were OK -- and he wished Edge good luck against Christian.
- Edge then left the locker room, and Stephanie walked in.
- She asked how he could be confident against RVD, considering how he always lost the big ones -- and Jericho said that if anyone knew about "big ones," it was Stephanie!
- WCW CW TITLE MATCH: XPac vs Billy Kidman.
- Billy Kidman made his return from injury
- Kidman caught X-Pac up top with a huge slam to pin him and capture the title!
- BACKSTAGE: Shane & RVD.
- Shane McMahon gave RVD a pep talk.
- Shane said the pressure was on, being that the winner would get a WCW Title shot.
- All RVD said was "cool," and Shane asked him if he knew what kind of pressure he was under. RVD said nope -- that everything was cool for Rob Van Dam.
- NO.1 CONTENDERS MATCH: Rob Van Dam vs Chris Jericho.
- Both men scored several near falls, and the referee was soon knocked out just as Jericho seemed poised to win.
- As Y2J tried to revive the ref, RVD caught him with a huge kick to the face, but again, there was no one to count the fall.
- The fight continued, and Stone Cold ran out with a chair.
- He went to hit Jericho but hit RVD by accident, and Jericho then picked up the pinfall, meaning that he will face Rock for the WCW Title at No Mercy!
- IN THE RING: RVD, Stone Cold, The Alliance, Mick Foley!
- After the bout, RVD asked Austin why he had done what he did.
- The two stared each other down for a few moments, and RVD didn't back down from the Rattlesnake.
- Austin grabbed a microphone and told every member of the Alliance to walk to the ring right now to witness what was about to happen.
- When they got there, Austin said he wouldn't be Federation Champion if not for the opportunity given to him by one person -- Shane McMahon!
- Shane was confused and RVD was shocked as Austin thanked Shane, who he called a genius!
- He said he owed Shane for hitting Angle with a chair last Thursday on SmackDown!, allowing RVD to score the pin.
- Austin was about to leave the ring, but returned when he thought RVD was "sassing" him.
- He asked RVD if he was mad that he had just lost to Jericho, and had lost his WCW Title shot at No Mercy.
- Austin said that while he was gone, he had watched RVD as leader of the Alliance, trying to be a leader like him.
- But he said that he was back now to take the Alliance members under his wing -- the men and women who he said wouldn't have a job if not for him.
- Austin offered RVD some advice -- he said to keep reaching for the stars, because maybe in another five years, he could be a big star.
- He said he didn't like or love him, but he appreciated what RVD had done, so he offered him a handshake as an olive branch of friendship.
- Before RVD shook, however, the sound of a crashing car filled the arena, and out came Mick Foley to a huge ovation!
- Foley said there was no place like home, and said that he was indeed the new Federation commissioner!
- He said that for his first act as commissioner, he would like to make a match between William Regal and Kurt Angle, but said he knew he couldn't force an Alliance superstar into it, so he would appeal to Regal's testicular fortitude.
- Regal agreed to the match for SmackDown!
- Foley then turned his attention to Austin.
- He recalled when they were Tag Team Champions back in 1997, and said that Steve still looked good, and even asked if Austin had been exercising.
- Foley said that he had been exercising too -- exercising his authority.
- He said that Angle would get a rematch against Austin at No Mercy.
- Foley then addressed Rob Van Dam.
- Foley said he wanted to give the fans the best main events he could, and he said that the main event at No Mercy would be better with RVD involved.
- Foley suggested a Triple Threat Match with Stone Cold, Angle and RVD!
- Mick repeated that he had no power over Alliance superstars, so he asked RVD to make a choice, if he wanted to compete in the biggest match in his career.
- Van Dam said that he would take Austin's advice and reach for the stars -- and he would indeed take a spot in the championship match at No Mercy!
- So the match is set for No Mercy -- a Triple Threat Match with Stone Cold, Angle and RVD for the Federation Championship!
- Foley then told the crowd to have a nice day.
- BACKSTAGE: Stone Cold/Debra & Shane.
- Shane talked to Stone Cold and Debra backstage.
- Austin said that he had just won the title, and his life had turned to hell.
- He said he knew Foley would try to make his life a living hell as commissioner.
- He also questioned why RVD would accept a spot in the Triple Threat Match.
- Shane said that it was an opportunity for the Alliance, saying they had upped their chances of winning the match by a third.
- Shane said that if Austin won, the title stayed with them, and if RVD won ... but before Shane could finish, Austin and Debra walked out of the locker room.
- EUROPEAN CHALLANGE: Hurricane Helms w/ Mighty Molly vs Kane.
- Hurricane said that his Hurri-senses were telling him it was time to def end the European Championship.
- He said that if there were any mere mortals who wished to be vanquished, they could come down and challenge him for the title!
- Much to Hurricane's surprise, Kane answered the challenge!
- The superhero helped Molly out of the ring, and then told "Citizen Kane" that he was making the mistake of his life.
- He said that Kane wore a mask but had no superpowers -- What's up with that?
- He said Kane would make a great addition to the Hurri-league.
- He offered to activate Hurri-twin powers with Kane, and Kane knocked knuckles with him, and then grabbed his hand and squeezed, as Hurricane grimaced in pain!
- The match began and Kane seemed poised to win the title, until Booker T and Test ran in to attack Kane, ending the bout in a disqualification.
- It didn't take long for Undertaker to run out to save his little brother, as the Brothers of Destruction fought off T&T!
- BACKSTAGE: Al Snow/Maven & Mick Foley.
- Al Snow told WWF Tough Enough Champion Maven that he was very proud of Maven for challenging Tazz on SmackDown!
- As the men talked, they were approached by Commissioner Foley, and Foley proceeded to recap history for Maven, talking about how Al Snow lost a match for the commissionership to Regal back in March, allowing for Foley's return on SmackDown!
- Ultimately, Al pulled Maven away from Foley and suggested that he not associate with him anymore.
- BACKSTAGE: Booker T & Test.
- Booker T and Test talked backstage, and Test was laughing hysterically.
- Booker asked what was up, and Test said he was amused at how Booker had called Taker out on RAW, challenging him to a match at No Mercy.
- He said he knew Booker would win that bout, and said that Booker had inspired him to challenge Kane to a match at No Mercy.
- TOUGH ENOUGH MATCH: Maven vs Tazz.
- Al Snow joined Michael Cole for commentary as Maven took on Tazz in a rematch from last Thursday's SmackDown!
- The match lasted barely a minute, as Tazz locked on the Tazzmission for the submission win.
- After the bout, Tazz again made like he was going to help Maven up, only this time, Maven clotheslined Tazz down, much to the delight of Al Snow!
- INTERVIEW: Jonathan Coachman, The Rock, Chris Jericho.
- Coach interviewed Rock about his match against Chris Jericho for the WCW Title at No Mercy.
- He asked Rock specifically if he and Jericho were cool after what happened on RAW.
- Rock said that yes, things were cool, and as he talked, Jericho approached him.
- Y2J apologized, and Rock seemed angered that Y2J had interrupted his interview.
- Jericho said he was just excited for the huge match at No Mercy, and Rock wished him luck in their match.
- Jericho said that people would be talking about this one, and as he walked away, he bumped into The Rock.
- Rocky couldn't help but laugh at that, and then said that Jericho had no idea.
- THE MAIN EVENT: Kurt Angle vs William Regal.
- Angle was a man on a mission in this bout, looking to exact revenge on the "goodwill ambassador."
- Ultimately, however, Regal was saved by various members of the Alliance -- including Raven, Kanyon, Mike Awesome and Tommy Dreamer -- who ran in, causing a disqualification.
- Still, Angle fought them all off, and stood proud in the ring as SmackDown! went off the air.
- Goodnight Everybody......
Go Back To WWE History