RING OF HONOR WRESTLING RESULTS
Ring of Honor - Final Battle 2005
December 17, 2005 - Edison, New Jersey
- MATCH: Jimmy Rave w/Prince Nana def Milano Collection AT..
- MATCH: Colt Cabana def Azrieal..
- After the match, Homicide came out and said he was injured legit on 12/3 and wasn't there to fight Cabana..
- Homicide said he was there to kill Steve Corino, but if Cabana got in the way, he would get hurt too!
- PURE TITLE MATCH: Nigel McGuinness def Claudio Castagnoli to retain..
- A second referee was assigned to the outside to make sure Nigel McGuinness did not cheat to win..
- The outside referee was knocked out and Nigel McGuinness tried to use the iron as a weapon..
- Claudio Castagnoli reversed it and whacked Nigel McGuiness with the iron and pinned him to win the title!
- The outside referee had recovered and saw this, and reversed the decision, and Disqualified Castagnoli!
- Nigel McGuinness retained the Ring of Honor Pure Wrestling title!
- MATCH: Alex Shelley w/Prince Nana def Steve Corino..
- After the match, Homicide attacked Steve Corino (as promised)..
- Colt Cabana hit the ring to make the save, but Homicide & Julius Smokes kicked his ass!
- Homicide proceeded to pour a bottle of drano down Colt Cabana's throat (That's hardcore!)
- Colt Cabana immediately began to throw up all over the place and gag as officials helped him..
- IN THE RING: Gary Michael Cappetta & Jay Lethal (Lethal explained that he saw Samoa Joe's paycheck)..
- 4-CORNER SURVIVAL: Jay Lethal def Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels w/Allison Danger and BJ Whitmer w/Lacey..
- Samoa Joe hit the Muscle-buster on Christopher Daniels, but BJ Whitmer whacked Joe with a chair trying to steal the pin..
- Jay Lethal knocked BJ Whitmer out of the ring with a drop kick and hit the flying headbutt on Daniels and stole the pin!
- DVD EXLUSIVE: Steve Corino said Ring of Honor was an unsafe work environment and was going home to his family..
- MATCH: Ricky Reyes def Davey Andrews..
- After the match, Ricky Reyes destroyed the Student-trophy that Davey Andrews was in posession of..
- ROH Trainer Austin Aries ran down to make the save -- Aries cut a promo saying Reyes was a drunk..
- TAG TITLE MATCH: Austin Aries & Roderick Strong def Sal Rinauro & Tony Mamaluke to win the titles!
- ROH TITLE MATCH: American Dragon def Naomichi Marufuji to retain!
- MAIN EVENT: KENTA def Low Ki to retain the GHC Junior title..
- This match lasted roughly 25 minutes and was a sure-fire match of the year Candidate!
- They shook hands after the match while they got a standing ovation from the appreciative ROH fans..
- And that's a wrap..
| *** Official OWW.com ROH DVD Reviews by Brad Dykens ***|
December 17, 2005 - FINAL BATTLE 2005 - Edison, New Jersey
ROH's "Final Battle" is traditionally the company's biggest show -- aptly presented as the last event of the year. The custom has been to invite some of the well known foreign wrestlers to let them perform in front of the thirsty American wrestling fans. The atmosphere is like nothing else and this year was no exception with two of Japan's finest -- KENTA and Naomichi Marufugi -- stepping foot into a Ring of Honor environment.
The under-card was filled with quality mid-card matches starting with the Embassy's Jimmy Rave taking on the Italian Super-model Milano Collection A.T. (** 3/4). Milano is still growing on me but there is something I just can't put my figure on that I don't get about him. The match was a good opener and featured Jimmy Rave's symbolic re-beginning after losing Steel Cage Warfare; Similar circumstances had Rave's stable-mate Alex Shelley battling Steve Corino in a unique match-up to say the list (*** 1/4). This match was slightly better than Rave's outing and was capped off with Homicide attacking Corino and Colt Cabana making the save. Homicide then callously poured Drano down the throat of Cabana causing him to throw up!
Other mid-card contests pitted Colt Cabana (before the Drano incident) facing Azrieal (**). I think Azrieal is great but he is being portrayed as ROH's answer to Scotty Too Hotty. He has the skills but he's a total jobber. Claudio Castagnoli finally got his chance at Nigel McGuiness's Pure title and scored the pinfall to win the championship but had the decision reversed when a second referee reported Castagnoli's cheating (*** 1/2). Oh my Gosh, a Dusty-finish in ROH! These two wrestlers work well together and this night was no exception. Claudio Castagnoli, who is deceptively large, is a future star in either WWE or TNA -- and McGuinness should be right there next to him.
This week's Four Corner Survival featured Jay Lethal stealing a victory over his former mentor Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, and BJ Whitmer (accompanied by the beautiful Lacey - I haven't said enough about her in my previous DVD reviews but I need to tell you that she is a tremendous asset to ROH). This 4-WAY had great action and even better drama with several different rivalries involved (*** 3/4). Joe vs Lethal, Joe vs Daniels, Daniels vs Whitmer. Lethal is working his way up the top 5 rankings. Next was a throw-away match with Ricky Reyes squashing the top ROH Student Davey Andrews (* 1/2). After the match, ROH Trainer Austin Aries had seen enough and ran down to attack Reyes in def ense of his students. A Reyes/Aries match might be good but where does Reyes go from there?
Austin Aries & Roderick Strong captured Tag Team Gold when they def Tony Mamaluke & Sal Rinauro in an excellent tag team match featuring four babyface wrestlers (****). Aries & Strong have become a phenomenal team and should hold the titles for a long time. Aries, in particular scored a moral victory by winning a Championship at Final Battle for the second year in a row.
The two main events were equally exciting. American Dragon successfully def ended the ROH World title against Japan's Naomichi Marufuji in a classic wrestling match (**** 1/4). In the main event, Low Ki was def by GHC Junior Heavyweight Champion KENTA -- one of Japan's top wrestlers -- in a hard-fought match featuring many stiff kicks and knee strikes (**** 1/2). The crowd went crazy with chants of "Match of the Year" when it over over, but I would hate to be one of these guys dragging himself out of bed the following day. These two matches were, quite frankly, amazing, and extremely special. I loved every minute of it - Thank you KENTA and thank you Marufuji.
Final Thoughts: The highly appreciative fans praised both men for their performances and showered them with chants of "Please Come Back!". This is what makes ROH so special and it gives me a great feeling to be a part of it in some small way. ROH proved why its fans have all the reason in the world to be proud to be an ROH fan. It is great to watch professional wrestling and not be ashamed for once. If you would like to purchase this or any other ROH DVD, please check out ROHwrestling.com - Thank you!